Thanks for your comments Mike.

The largest table contains 48 columns (objects), the second largest 20
columns (users) and all the rest are less than 10 columns. The instance
sizes range from 10MB to 1GB.

Transactions and row locking are required. Most queries are updates,
followed by writes, then reads (application mostly uses memcached and other
forms of caching for reads).

I have since thought of having 1 table type per database, resulting in
'only' ~30 database instances; this would be 'easier' to maintain, and each
database (containing 1 table type) could be optimised for its ratio of
reading : writing : updating.

However, this approach would require a LOT of work to re-write the
application's database layer.

What approach would be best?

Thanks again,

Michael