Walter, this is exactly why we went for separate application instances
initially - it is the most flexible solution for scaling.

However, we have since discovered that it's actually a lot more work to
manage than we anticipated!

We would love to continue using separate application instances (allowing us
to move instances around depending on load), but setting up and maintaining
replication is very time consuming.

Does anyone know of any scripts / tools to ease replication / clustering
setup / administration / maintenance?

Thanks again,

Michael