The root Password will be blank after initial install.

You can set it at a shell prompt with commands something like this...

shell> mysql -u root
mysql> SET PASSWORD FOR 'root'@'localhost' = PASSWORD('newpwd');
mysql> FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
mysql> EXIT;

Where newpwd is your desired password.

Best to secure or delete all accounts with blank passwords :)

You can then start MySQL administrator and log in using the username root,
the password you specified in the SET PASSWORD command and the host of
localhost.

Regards
John

 I am brand new to MySQL and JAVA/Netbeans 6.5 so please excuse the