Hi everyone,
I'm having some problems getting logged in to mysql to create a new
database.
I have to admit, my overall skill level with mysql is 'Entry level noob'.
I just haven't ever had much need to mess with it in general, so if you want
to laugh, feel free. I'll understand  ;)

At any rate, as it has been about a year since the last time I tried to do
this, I've forgotten the root password and tried reset it using the
following steps:
1. Stopped the mysqld daemon process.
2. Started the mysqld daemon process with the --skip-grant-tables option.
3. Started the mysql client with the -u root option.
Once logged in as root, I did:

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password='newpass' WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
exit

When I try to log in now:
# mysql -u root -p
Enter password:
ERROR 1045 (28000): Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password: YES)

Can someone give me a nudge/push/drag me kicking and screaming in the right
direction?

Thanks everyone  :)

--
Tim DeBoer