You should have typed " ... set password = password('newpass')"

You've set root's password to the encypted value of some other string.

You ought to be able to get around this by starting mysql (the server
process, not the client) using the --skip-grant-tables option and resetting
the password.

--
Jim Lyons
Web developer / Database administrator