At 07:38 PM 2/25/2009, you wrote:

> not sure, though, feel free to report test results

Results not good so far. I created a big load file by creating a list of
all the files on my server (using "find / -printf ...). and appending that
file four of five times over for several hundred thousand rows.

Then I did a LOAD DATA CONCURRENT INFILE 'my_big_file'...

While that was running, I ran a SELECT COUNT(*) query in another session.
The latter was blocked until the former finished every time.

And this wasn't even using merged tables, but rather just a single myisam
table.

Looks like the concurrent select thing described in the documentation
doesn't even work as advertised for even this simple case.

What happens if you do a "Select * from table limit 10"?

This bug was reported back in 2006 and should have been fixed by now. What version of MySQL are you using?
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=20637

Mike