>> Is there a way I can restore the concurrent select feature to a working
>> state without having to shut down the server and rebuild the entire data
>> base?
>
> Usually when concurrent insert is not permitted, it's because there
> are holes in the table that cause inserts to go somewhere other than
> at the end of the table.

Thanks for the suggestion, but apparently you missed the preceding
sentence in my post, which said, "...I unpacked the table, even ran
REPAIR, OPTIMIZE, and FLUSH TABLES. ... Had to dump the data base, drop
it, and then recreate it in order to get concurrent selects working
again."

That is to say, I tried that already. Didn't work.