Carl,

Locked status in SHOW PROCESSLIST and a table being locked are
different.  There is a bug in MySQL that shows Locked status for
queries accessing InnoDB tables in some cases.  What version of MySQL
are you using?

The table is not really locked, you're just seeing that as a side
effect of whatever's really happening.

Baron