The nice thing about InnnoDB is that it won't have to access the data
portion of the file if it doesn't have to. So if all the information
you are retrieving is contained in an index, it only accesses the
index to get the information it needs. The data portion is never
access, and thus never locked.

Something like this is probably going on. All the information it needs
for the 100,000 records is contained in the index, the the data
portion is never accessed until it needs to retrieve the 60,000
records.

That's a simplistic overview of what could be going on. But it sounds
like your issue has been resolved.

Interesting, your temp1 attached file shows mysql switched from using
the org_date index to the organization index.

Brent Baisley