Juan,

On Wed, Mar 18, 2009 at 11:14 AM, Juan Pereira
<juankarlos.open...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm currently developing a program for centralizing the vehicle fleet GPS
> information -http://openggd.sourceforge.net-, written in C++.
>
> The database should have these requirements:
>
> - The schema for this kind of data consists of several arguments -latitude,
> longitude, time, speed. etc-, none of them is a text field.
> - The database also should create a table for every truck -around 100
> trucks-.
> - There won't be more  than 86400 * 365 rows per table -one GPS position
> every second along one year-.
> - There won't be more than 10 simultaneously read-only queries.
>
> The question is: Which DBMS do you think is the best for this kind of
> application? PostgreSQL or MySQL?

I think it depends on exactly what you want to do with the data. MySQL
has fairly poor support for spatial types but you can achieve a lot
just manipulating normal data types. Postgres (which i know nothing
about) appears to have better spatial support via "postgis"

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/spatial-extensions.html

http://postgis.refractions.net/documentation/manual-1.3/

In terms of data size you should not have a problem, I think you need
to look at how you are going to query the tables.

Cheers,

Ewen