[JS] I should have mentioned that I can replace the MATCH with any number of
LIKE tests with no trouble.

I rewrote the whole stinking mess to look like this:

SELECT SQL_CALC_FOUND_ROWS * FROM
  (SELECT customers.*, account.account_name, account.real_name AS `Sales
Rep`, stage.stage_name,
    (SELECT GROUP_CONCAT(giiexpr_db.topic.topic_code) FROM cust_topics INNER
JOIN giiexpr_db.topic ON
      cust_topics.topic_id =   giiexpr_db.topic.topic_id WHERE
(cust_topics.customer_id = customers.customer_id)
      GROUP BY cust_topics.customer_id) AS topic_list,
    (SELECT memos.note_text FROM memos WHERE (memos.customer_id =
customers.customer_id)
      AND (MATCH(memos.note_text) AGAINST ("pork" IN NATURAL LANGUAGE MODE))

      ORDER BY note_timestamp DESC LIMIT 1) AS m_note_text
  FROM customers INNER JOIN account ON account.account_id =
customers.account_id
  INNER JOIN stage ON customers.stage_id = stage.stage_id WHERE
(customers.account_id = 10) ) AS custs
WHERE (m_note_text IS NOT NULL);

I get the same Error -1. I thought I would try to do an EXPLAIN, hoping that
MySQL would share its thoughts and feeling with me, but an EXPLAIN also
generates an Error -1.

The subquery

    SELECT memos.note_text FROM memos WHERE (memos.customer_id =
customers.customer_id)
      AND (MATCH(memos.note_text) AGAINST ("pork" IN NATURAL LANGUAGE MODE))

      ORDER BY note_timestamp DESC LIMIT 1

works fine by itself.

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz