Are you using large blobs by any chance? when max_allowed_packet
(google it ;) ) is set too small, the server will also terminate the
connection with this error message. Remember to set it correctly at
the server and at the client side.

One of the better explanations by monty is found here:
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=2110

regards,

Walter Heck