Abdul,

Is this what you mean?

CREATE TABLE Table1 (
table1_id INT UNSIGNED PRIMARY KEY AUTO INCREMENT,
entrydate TIMESTAMP
)ENGINE=INNODB;
CREATE TABLE table2 (
table2_id INT UNSIGNED PRIMARY KEY AUTO_INCREMENT,
table1_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
entrydate TIMESTAMP,
FOREIGN KEY(table1_id) REFERENCES table1(table1_id)
)ENGINE=INNODB;

After this, the DB engine will ensure that any table1_id value you try to insert in table2 actually exists in table1. See the manual page for foreign keys.

PB

-----

abdulazeez alugo wrote:

Hello all,
I'm trying to design a relational database where two tables link to each other
through unique id sa below
Table 1
table1_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO INCREMENT,
entrydate TIMESTAMP
Table2
table2_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL AUTO_INCREMENT,
table1_id INT UNSIGNED NOT NULL,
entrydate TIMESTAMP,
Sorry. The above is just a rough sketch of what I have here and I hope you understand what I'm trying to portray but the value of table1_id inside table2 keeps returning the value 0 thereby it doesn't correspond with any value in table1_id in table1.
Please I need help on this issue.
Thanks in anticipation of your prompt response.