Jerry,

At 09:53 AM 4/13/2009, Jerry Schwartz wrote:
Sorry for top-posting, but this is getting unwieldy.

The problems with hardware in multiprocessor systems have been dealt with
long since, assuming that Intel, AMD, et al have implemented the solutions.
Ten years ago and more, I worked with machines capable of 128 processors and
they seemed to work okay.

Well having a machine with 128 processors and actually getting MySQL to take advantage of 128 processors is a different matter entirely. MySQL does not scale well beyond 4 processors, at least not like PostgreSql does. MySQL seems to hit a plateau rather quickly. If XtraDb's modified Innodb plugin scales better, then fine. But I haven't seen any benchmarks showing the speed improvements relative to the number of processors used and is something I'd really like to see.

Of course, there was a price difference. :<)

As others said, the major bottlenecks are likely to be internal (to the DB)
locking and disk access speed.

Of course. When it comes to MySQL, I would invest more money into more memory and fast SSD drives rather than more CPU's. You'll get a bigger bang for the buck. :)

Mike

Regards,

Jerry Schwartz
195 Farmington Ave.