Hi folks --

I am new to MySQL and just laying out what I hope will be just one db that
holds all the info for a list of forged or machined metal parts.

Let's say there are 10,000 such parts, each with a unique part number. That
part number is the primary index.

Each part has at least one, and maybe several, accompanying photos.

And each part has at least one, and perhaps as many as five, human-language
descriptions. These descriptions might be as long as 5,000 characters each.

I believe I have the choice of:

1. Storing everything -- photos and descriptions included -- in the database; or

2. Holding some info in the database; and storing photos and descriptions in
normal-type disk files apart from the database, with names based on part
numbers.

So my questions:

1. Which scheme is faster and less resource-hogging in reading, updating,
adding, and deleting?

2. I understand there are problems in storing photos in the db. Can one
overcome these problems somehow?

Thanks!

-- Pete