At 11:08 AM 7/10/2009, russbucket wrote:
I have been using the Linux version of MySQL for five years, also used it on
a Windows ME system even though documents said you couldn't. Recent a friend
asked me to help him get it up and running on a Windows Vista system.

I was looking for the system configuration requirements but could not find
them in the manual (or I missed them)? We want to use localhost.
Do you need Apache and PHP?

Only if you need to access MySQL from PHP via browser. If you are a programmer then there are many languages like Delphi that can access MySQL directly using a 3rd party component, or use ODBC from most programs that can access a database.

 Is there a Windows application that works like
phpMyAdmin? I tried MySQLAdmin on my Linux system, but I could not cut and
paste SQL Commands into the editor.

Try SQLYog since it is my favorite. Download the free community edition at http://www.webyog.com/en/downloads.php#sqlyog

Anything pointing to the above would be helpful.
Thanks in advance.
OpenSUSE 11.1 KDE 4.1.3,
Intel DX48BT2 Core 2 Dual E7200. 4 GB DDR III
GeForce 8400 GS, 320GB Disc (2)

-------
Russ