I am no doubt very new to MySQL and have been studying the on line
manual however I find it a bit complex and don't understand what it's
suggesting I do in this case. I created a database called 'staff' and
then in that database I created one simple table:

mysql> show tables;
+-----------------+
| Tables_in_staff |
+-----------------+
| it              |
1 row in set (0.00 sec)

mysql> describe it;
| Field    | Type        | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
| name     | varchar(40) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| username | varchar(20) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| email    | varchar(20) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| office   | char(3)     | YES  |     | NULL    |       |