Dear Steve,

On 27.10.2009, at 16:19, Steve Edberg wrote:
Or you could do an ALTER TABLE afterwards to add appropriate indexes. And are you familiar with the EXPLAIN command to help optimize queries/decide what indexes to add?

Thanks for this! I have added indicies with ALTER TABLE.
And using EXPLAIN and ANALYZE TABLE I found out that in fact I am creating a huge Cartesian product joining fields of two tables which are not indexed! No wonder it took ages to get this query done, I used up 99% of CPU. Definitely it can and it should be optimized.
Thanks for your tips again.

Cheers,
Olga