Your mail suggests that you *are* seeing a difference, though. What
are you seeing?

What I was saying, is that VARCHAR takes up space "l" (= length)
of the data plus 1 or 2 bytes to store the length, while CHAR takes
up the full space of the -defined- column size.

This is rather wasteful when storing CHAR data that doesn't take up
the full available space (as this is padded with spaces up to the defined
length) and is a storage engine "feature" ;-)

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com