None, of these suggestions worked...

Tried the following ways to reset the password:

(1) Shut down MySQL via System Preferences pane

(2) Placed the following in a text file:

UPDATE mysql.user SET Password=PASSWORD('') WHERE User='root';
FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

(3 Invoked the following command from the command line in Bash:

mysqld_safe --init-file=/Users/raven/mysql-init &
[1] 2236

Received these errors:

mysqld_safe Logging to '/usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.err'.
touch: /usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.err: Permission denied
chown: /usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.err: Permission denied
mysqld_safe Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /usr/local/mysql/data
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: line 105:
/usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.err: Permission denied
rm: /usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.pid: Permission denied
/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysqld_safe: line 142:
/usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.err: Permission denied
mysqld_safe mysqld from pid file /usr/local/mysql/data/Valkyrie.local.pid ended