Make sure your mysql server is not accessible to anyone else, its a good
idea to disconnect all network connections because the server will be
totally insecure for a short period of time!

Start your MySQL server with the --SKIP-GRANT-TABLES option.

At a shell prompt type

        mysql -uroot

(you may have to add -h and -p options to the command above if you are
using a non-standard host or port). You should get a mysql prompt, at
the mysql prompt type

        USE mysql;

Followed by

        FLUSH PRIVILEGES;

Then type

        UPDATE user set password = password('new_pass')
        where user='root';

Replacing new_pass with your desired password.
Now type

        FLUSH PRIVILEGES;
        EXIT;

and restart the server without --SKIP-GRANT-TABLES

Regards