Hello:

I have a database with over 60 tables with thousands
to millions or rows in each.

I want to develop a summary of the data joined across
all the tables.

I can do this with a view, but I am concerned it will
take a lot of resources to perform all the joins required
by the view.  Is a view efficient at making joins?  Are
the joins executed every time the view is used or is
the data cached somehow?

The other approach is for me to create a table to hold
the summary data and write application code that periodically
updates it.

Which alternative would be best?

Thanks,
        Neil

--
Neil Aggarwal, (281)846-8957, http://UnmeteredVPS.net
Host your MySQL driven app on a CentOS VPS for $25/mo