A view is no more or less efficient that the queries that make it up.  Each
time you invoke the view, you repeat all the joins.

A join could be more efficient only if you go to a lot of effort to ensure
it forms the most efficient join(s) of the underlying tables.

Your solution of the summary table is actually a good one in many instances,
especially if it's not vital that it contain the most up-to-date data.