I downloaded the file mysql-3.23.38-sun-solaris2.7-sparc.tar.gz last
Friday.  I followed the installation instructions, except that mysql is
installed in /export/mysql since I don't control /usr/local.

The file mysqlbug doesn't exist anywhere in my distribution.  The
scripts subdirectory only has mysql_install_db.

The command mysql_install_db gave me messages that it couldn't find my
hostname (organa), so I needed to use ip address instead of hostname to
set permissions.  It also said it couldn't create the grant tables.

Later, the command safe_mysqld --user=mysql & gives an syntax error
message for bin/my_print_defaults, and mysql promptly quits.

Detailed messages follow.

Thanks in advance.

Barbara Baughman
972-883-2157

The error messages from mysql_install_db are:

organa:/export/mysql/mysql# scripts/mysql_install_db
./bin/my_print_defaults: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
WARNING: The host 'organa' could not be looked up with resolveip.
This probably means that your libc libraries are not 100 % compatible
with this binary MySQL version. The MySQL deamon, mysqld, should work
normally with the exception that host name resolving will not work.
This means that you should use IP addresses instead of hostnames
when specifying MySQL privileges !
Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
./bin/mysqld: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
Installation of grant tables failed!
organa:/export/mysql/mysql# scripts/mysql_install_db
./bin/my_print_defaults: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
WARNING: The host 'organa' could not be looked up with resolveip.
This probably means that your libc libraries are not 100 % compatible
with this binary MySQL version. The MySQL deamon, mysqld, should work
normally with the exception that host name resolving will not work.
This means that you should use IP addresses instead of hostnames
when specifying MySQL privileges !
Preparing db table
Preparing host table
Preparing user table
Preparing func table
Preparing tables_priv table
Preparing columns_priv table
Installing all prepared tables
./bin/mysqld: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
Installation of grant tables failed!

The error message from safe_mysql --user=mysql & are:

organa:/export/mysql/mysql# bin/safe_mysqld --user=mysql &
[1] 18023
./bin/my_print_defaults: syntax error at line 1: `(' unexpected
organa:/export/mysql/mysql# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from
/export/mysql/mysql-3.23.38/data
010611 14:30:39  mysqld ended