From: Robinson, Eric [mailto:eric.robin...@psmnv.com]
Sent: Friday, December 04, 2009 9:00 AM
To: Tom Worster; mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: RE: Here's an Idea for Re-Syncing Master and Slave During Production
Hours without Interrupting Users (Much)

> (1) innodb?

It's an off-the-shelf application that uses MyISAM tables. It is
possible to convert to innodb, but I have not been sold on innodb in
terms of its  performance characteristics for this particular
application. Maybe I've been reading the wrong stuff. Do you have
general thoughts on the differences with respect to performance?

> (2) why delete slave logs when you can
> restart the slave with --skip-slave and
> then use CHANGE MASTER TO?

Well... I guess mainly because I didn't know about that option! I
thought I needed to "fake out" mysql on this, but it sounds like I can
just do 'flush tables with read lock;reset master;' on the master and
'change master to...;' on the slave. So cool. Thanks for the input!

--
Eric Robinson

Disclaimer - December 4, 2009
solely for Tom Worster,my...@lists.mysql.com. If you are not the named
addressee you should not disseminate, distribute, copy or alter this email. Any
views or opinions presented in this email are solely those of the author and
might not represent those of . Warning: Although  has taken reasonable
precautions to ensure no viruses are present in this email, the company cannot
accept responsibility for any loss or damage arising from the use of this email
or attachments.

individual named.  If you are not the named addressee, you are notified that
reviewing, disseminating, disclosing, copying or distributing this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability
for any loss or damage caused by viruses or errors or omissions in the contents
of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. [FriendFinder
Networks, Inc., 220 Humbolt court, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, USA, FriendFinder.com