Eric,

>> There are ways to resync data that don't involve all
>> this as well:  Maatkit has some tools
>
> I've looked with great interest at Maatkit, but their tools are replete
> with warnings about dangers, bugs, and crashes. They certainly do not
> inspire confidence.

I'm the primary author of Maatkit.  What can I say -- you could go buy
a commercial off-the-shelf tool and believe the song and dance they
feed you about the tool being perfect.  At least with Maatkit, you get
transparency.  We make a concerted effort to update the RISKS section
of each tool with each release, so there is full disclosure.

I think Maatkit is by far the best solution for live master-slave sync
in most real-world situations.

- Baron