From: shawn.gr...@sun.com [mailto:shawn.gr...@sun.com]
Sent: December 12, 2009 4:39 PM
To: Terry Van de Velde
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: Multiple joins from same table?

Terry Van de Velde wrote:
> Good Day,
>
> I am attempting to do something new (to me) with MySQL. I am looking to
have
> my query return with the value in the visitor and home columns replaced
with
> the corresponding team name from the teams table.  schedule.visitor and
> schedule.home are essentially foreign keys to teams.team_no (though I have
> not defined them as such yet). What I have been trying is the select
> statement below which is fine when joining using one team (say the home
> team), but as soon as I attempt to add in the visitor team, things fall
> apart.
>
> I am basically looking to have the following outcome:
> Oct. 30 - Titans vs. Hawks (7:30 PM)
> Nov. 1 - Red Jackets vs. Boomerangs (8:30 PM)
>
> I would like this handled by MySQL instead of PHP if possible.
>
> Schedule table
>   'id' int,
>   'date_time' datetime,
>   'visitor' tinyint
>   'home' tinyint
>

> teams table
>   'id' int
>   'team_no' smallint,
>   'team_name' varchar (20)
>
> SELECT
>   schedule.date_time,
>   teams.team_name
> FROM schedule, sojhlteams
> WHERE
>   schedule.visitor = teams.team_no
>
> Any help is appreciated.

The trick to using the same table two or more times in the same query is
  through something called "aliases" when you alias a column or table
you give it a different name and will make it easier to manage.

Something like this is what you are after

SELECT
   s.date_time
, th.team_name home_team
, ta.team_name away_team
FROM schedule s
INNER JOIN teams th
   ON th.team_no = s.home
INNER JOIN teams ta
   ON ta.team_no = s.visitor

Here you can see that I aliased the `teams` table twice. Once to handle
the "home team" information (th) and once for the away team info (ta). I
also aliased the team_name columns to make them less confusing labeling
one as "home_team" and other as "away_team".

I think that once you get a grip on how to use aliases, all of this
multiple-table stuff will start to become much easier.
--
Shawn Green, MySQL Senior Support Engineer
Sun Microsystems, Inc.

14:39:00