Gavin Towey wrote:
There are scripts out there such at the Maatkit mk-parallel-dump/restore that
can speed up this process by running in parallel.

However if you're doing this every week on that large of a dataset, I'd just
use filesystem snapshots.  You're backup/restore would then only take as long
as it takes for you to scp the database from one machine to another.

Regards,
Gavin Towey

Thanks! Will the Maatkit script work on a simple --all-databases dump?

As for the copy, it's a temporary thing. This is just being done weekly while we test out the new server. Once it's live, the new server will indeed be backed up via LVM snapshots. :)

Madi