Hi,

I've had quite a bit of success deploying mysql-proxy in my clients
infrastructure.

The standard read/write splitting is quite easy to achieve - but I
also add some custom code to match with specific case (connection
pooling, x second to the same master after a write/update, specific
command goes to this specific 'async' server...).

Since the 'rewrite' language is LUA its is quite easy to extend the feature.

I did complete some benchmarks of those systems for a client (overhead
cost) but I don't know if they are ready to share them (and I don't
have access to them since I'm mobile right now). Ill inquire.

P.

On 12/24/09, Jaime Crespo Rincón <jcre...@warp.es> wrote:
> El día 22 de diciembre de 2009 13:44, Miguel Angel Nieto
> <cor...@miguelangelnieto.net> escribió:
>>> It depends a lot on how you plan to coordinate the db servers
>>> (sharding, replication, ndb), the kind of applications you are going
>>> to deploy and how much scability you need.
>>
>> Thank you. I have read about LVS and keepalived but I can't see the
>> difference between them. Are they the same thing? I want the load
>> balancing for my replicated servers. I suppose that LVS can't
>> distinguish between inserts and selects (to send queries to the master
>> o slave server).
>
> I do not know about keepalived, but it seems to provide the same
> service that heartbeat does: user-level awareness of the failure of a
> machine or a service. LVM, however, does kernel module, ip-level, load
> balancing and automatic failure clustering. The big confusion with
> those apps is that most of them are extensible and combinable to
> achieve the same goal.
>
> About the read/write balancing (which is a good question, and that is
> why I asked what you were intending to do on the other end), I have
> seen it done **only at application level**, not transparently, because
> of the problems derived from asynchronous replication (lag between
> master writes and slaves see the data). I am sorry I cannot help you,
> but please, share here if you found something useful AND with good
> performance.
>
> Merry Xmas!
> --
> Jaime Crespo