Ken D'Ambrosio wrote:
Hey, all.  I've been using databases clear back to xBase days; that being
said, I've never had a solid foundation for relational databases.  While I
can muddle by in SQL, I really don't have a good understanding of exactly
how keys are set up, the underpinnings of indexing, and, oh, lots of
ground-level stuff.  Call me a "user", and you'd be right -- an
administrator of databases?  Not so much.

So, any suggestions -- books, courses, web sites, what-have-you -- that I
should be hitting up so I can have a better grasp of what's going on
behind the scenes?
I recently attended Sun's MySQL DBA course (http://www.mysql.com/training/schedule.php?class=5200) which I can heartily recommend. The course covers the kind of things you're after, including indexing, how the engines work (ie pros and cons), backups, etc.

Cheers,

Gary