On Tue, 19 Jan 2010, Tompkins Neil wrote:

I can enforce that the user can't use the same password as the previous four
- when they change their password.  However, the user can manipulate this by
changing the password four times and then resetting back to there original
password.  How would I overcome this problem ? Any thoughts or
recommendations ?

Probably if your users do that, it means they (rightfully) consider A DAMN NUISANCE the fact to be compelled to change password. Abandon the idea.

I share their feeling about forcing this change of passwords, and cannot see almost no real life application (unless perhaps one is a spy) which really require this degree of security !

Citizens entrusted of public functions have the duty to accomplish them
with discipline and honour
                          [Art. 54 Constitution of the Italian Republic]