On 1/19/2010 7:49 AM, Mark Goodge wrote:
On 19/01/2010 14:44, Tompkins Neil wrote:
Hi All,

Following on from my earlier email - I've the following question now :

I can enforce that the user can't use the same password as the
previous four
- when they change their password. However, the user can manipulate
this by
changing the password four times and then resetting back to there
original
password. How would I overcome this problem ? Any thoughts or
recommendations ?

Store the date/time that the password was changed, and as well as not
alllowing one within the past four passwords you can also disallow one
that was last used within the past N days, for whatever value of N you
prefer.

Mark

Keep in mind that if you do this you may be setting yourself up for other security risks (people writing down passwords, etc). If a security measure gets in the way of the right people's ability to access the environment, they will find a way to circumvent it--and screw over your pci compliance in the process.