Shawn Green wrote:
> 23. There are fewer and less sophisticated tools for administration.
>
> MySQL doesn't need them. That alone should tell you something about
> our reliability.

This speaks to simplicity-- both in terms of easy to use and in terms of
more limited features.  It says nothing about reliability.

> 45. Replication is asynchronous and has many limitations and edge
> cases. For example, it is single-threaded, so a powerful slave can
> find it hard to replicate fast enough to keep up with a less powerful
> master.
>
> Yes, it is asynchronous. This is a distinct advantage to many
> read-heavy  applications and it allows MySQL to scale out better than
> most, if not all, other RDBMS systems.
>
> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/white-papers/mysql_wp_scaleout.php
> http://www.mysql.com/why-mysql/scaleout/booking.html

There is a lot of truth to what the original poster says about MySQL
replication edge cases, including those involving data integrity/data
loss.   These edge cases are by design, since it is the binlogs
replicated, and not the particular storage engine's commit logs.

It's one thing to scale out well when we're talking about comments to
cat videos, as there is no harm done if my comment is lost or is slow to
replicate around.  It's another when we're talking financial transactions.