*Hi JS,*

I never see socket file on MS Windows...are you sure about it? But, the
other question is "*yes*", if you make a connection with the MySQL Server
(mysqld) using -h localhost, you will connect with the server using a socket
file (linux only), but, if you make using -h 127.0.0.1, TCP/IP will be use.

*See this: *

*--protocol<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connecting.html#option_general_protocol>Value
* *Connection Protocol* *Allowable Operating Systems*  TCP TCP/IP connection
to local or remote server All  SOCKET Unix socket file connection to local
server *Unix only*  PIPE Named-pipe connection to local or remote
server Windows
only  MEMORY Shared-memory connection to local server Windows only
*Source*: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connecting.html
--
Wagner Bianchi