From: Wagner Bianchi [mailto:wagnerbianch...@gmail.com]
Sent: Friday, January 29, 2010 5:49 PM
To: Jerry Schwartz
Cc: mysql@lists.mysql.com
Subject: Re: WAMP vs LAMP

Hi JS,

I never see socket file on MS Windows...are you sure about it? But, the other
question is "yes", if you make a connection with the MySQL Server (mysqld)
using -h localhost, you will connect with the server using a socket file (linux
only), but, if you make using -h 127.0.0.1, TCP/IP will be use.

See this:

<http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connecting.html#option_general_protocol>
 --protocol Value

Connection Protocol

Allowable Operating Systems

TCP

TCP/IP connection to local or remote server

All

SOCKET

Unix socket file connection to local server

Unix only

PIPE

Named-pipe connection to local or remote server

Windows only

MEMORY

Shared-memory connection to local server

Windows only

Source: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/connecting.html
--
Wagner Bianchi

[JS] Perhaps I misspoke, but the basic principle is the same. On *nix, a socket
file is an inode that is used as a handle for processes to “find” the
appropriate memory-based data. There’s no data in the file itself.

On Windows, IPC via file mapping is pretty close to the same thing. It is one
of many IPC mechanisms that Microsoft has implemented over the years. It isn’t
mentioned in the table above, but perhaps they included it under the heading of
“memory”.

Windows also supports the DCE standard.