I recently tried to run

  INSERT INTO general_log SELECT * FROM mysql.general_log;

but that failed a few hours in because I ran out of disk space.
'SELECT COUNT(*) FROM general_log' returns 0, yet ibdata1 is still
49GB (started at 3GB before the INSERT; the source mysql.general_log,
a CSV table, was initially 43GB). I tried TRUNCATE then DROP on
general_log, then restarted mysqld, to no avail.

>From Googling, the only thing that appears remotely relevant to
garbage collection is OPTIMIZE TABLE, but I'm not sure how to apply it
in this case (now that the table has been dropped). How do I reclaim
my disk space? Thanks in advance.
--
Yang Zhang
http://www.mit.edu/~y_z/