On Tue, 12 Jun 2001, David Simcik wrote:

> Trying to grant super-user level permissions on my root account, but I keep
> getting back an error:
>
> mysql> GRANT ALL PRIVILEGES ON *.* TO root@% IDENTIFIED BY 'user' WITH GRANT
> OPTION;
> ERROR 1064: You have an error in your SQL syntax near '% IDENTIFIED BY
> 'user' WITH GRANT OPTION' at line 1

You may want to do the following instead:

GRANT ALL ON 'database'.'table' TO 'user'@'host' IDENTIFIED BY 'password'

- the PRIVILEGES keyword is redundant.
- database can be * for all databases.
- table can be * for all tables
- user is the user to pass to mysql after the -u option when connecting
- host is the host to pss to mysql after the -h option if the database is
  on a different computer than the one on which you run mysql
- password is what goes after the -p option (-p'password')
- WITH GRANT OPTION means that this user can create other users with this
  GRANT command.

This must surely help,

Enjoy,

Neil