Hi.

On Wed, Jun 13, 2001 at 02:55:07PM -0230, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Benjamin Pflugmann wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 12, 2001 at 09:35:19PM -0230, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > [...]
> > > GRANT ALL ON 'database'.'table' TO 'user'@'host' IDENTIFIED BY 'password'
> > >
> > > - the PRIVILEGES keyword is redundant.
> > > - database can be * for all databases.
> > > - table can be * for all tables
> > > - user is the user to pass to mysql after the -u option when connecting
> > > - host is the host to pss to mysql after the -h option if the database is
> > >   on a different computer than the one on which you run mysql
> >
> > host is the host the user should be able to connect from later. It is
> > not specified as option when connecting.
>
> host is the host the user should be able to connect _to_ later.
> that is, host is the computer on which mysqld will be running.
> the mysql client knows what host it is running on so you don't need to
> tell it this. I have connected to remote mysqld hosts like this many
> times.

I was talking about GRANT, which is a server command and not -h, which
is a client option (and, of course, you are right about -h)

My point was, that to GRANT, you don't have to specify the host, which
you would specify to -h (as the original poster suggested), but the
host on which you intend to run the client.

Bye,

        Benjamin.