> > Consider the following concept,
> >
> > ~/index.php
> >
> > #1. Fetch data from an external webpage using PHP Curl;
> > #2. Preg_match/Prepare Data to INSERT from local MySQL; - this may take a
> > few secs
> > #3. While Loop { INSERT data (from #2) into local MySQL } - this may take
> > only mili secs.
> >
> > Suppose this code is run by a random user (say, my website visitor), and
> > he/she closes the browser while the code was running. The real problem is
> > when the browser is closed while #3 is executing.
<snip>
> The server does not know if the browser is closed or not (or if the network
> connection is losted). It will continue to execute the code until finnished.

I'm not sure that's exactly correct. "The default behaviour is however
for your script to be aborted when the remote client disconnects."
http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.connection-handling.php

You can certainly set a script not to terminate if the user aborts
during the page request using ignore_user_abort() or a php.ini setting.

HTH

Nigel

P.S. Sorry to the other list users for a PHP oriented discussion.