Dates are not internally stored as a specific region format, they're stored
as seconds since epoch - just a big number.

Output formatting is a presentation layer issue, which you can solve either
in your SQL [select date_format(datefield, 'us format string') from table]
or in your application.

Maybe MySQL looks at the system's locale for default formatting, or there's
a config setting, but I've never looked at that - doing it explicitly
protects you from annoying glitches when you move to another system that
might be configured slightly differently.

Bier met grenadyn
Is als mosterd by den wyn
Sy die't drinkt, is eene kwezel
Hy die't drinkt, is ras een ezel