Hi Kris, all,

what you describe here seems to be related to MySQL bug# 50336
http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=50336 :

Kris wrote:
> [[...]]
>
> I am trying to compile mysql and install it in a non-standard directory.
> I do notwant mysql installed in /usr or /usr/local. For example, I am
> trying to install it in /tmp/msource with the configure line:
>
> [[...]]
>
> 'make' and 'make install' succeed. I have also created a custom my.cnf
> file installed in /tmp/msource/etc/my.cnf.
>

> However, installing the database tables fails:
>
> [[...]]
>
> The following error just won't go away:
>
> 100513 21:53:35 [ERROR] /tmp/msource/libexec/mysqld: unknown option
> '--skip-bdb'
>
> ... even after I manually search for the location where this flag is
> passed, and manually edit that source to never issue it.
>
> [[...]]

I am surprised to see that option still occurring in a file in 5.1, that
looks wrong. But I doubt this is really the problem, because in that
case many more users would suffer from it, internal tests included.

Are you really sure that this option does not show up in your "my.cnf",
or any other config file read by the server?
It was still used and supported in 5.0, so any remnant 5.0 config file
read by your 5.1 server might cause this problem.

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bru...@sun.com
Sun Microsystems GmbH,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin