Jörg, thanks again for your help and your patience with this issue. You
also caught oversights with strace and clarified that this is not a PATH
issue.

I've filed it at:

http://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=53667

> You don't state it explicitly, but I take your text to mean
> "If the MySQL tools are compiled using --prefix, --basedir, or other
> such settings, they should not read system-wide configuration files."
> That is a possible request, different from the current MySQL policy.

I am not saying MySQL should not read system-wide configuration files.
I'm saying that if one defines a --sysconfdir directory, then that
directory should be consulted first.

The bottom line is that the MySQL behavior is non-standard. A lot of
software allow reading their configuration files from anywhere.