Hi,

try this and you will see exactly how autoincrement behaves in MyISAM tables when it is part of primary key.

1) declare table like this:
CREATE TABLE  `test_tbl` (
 `field1` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
 `field2` int(10) unsigned NOT NULL auto_increment,
 `field3` char(10) NOT NULL default '',
 PRIMARY KEY  (`field1`,`field2`)
) ENGINE=MyISAM;

2) then insert some values
INSERT INTO test_tbl (field1, field3) VALUES(1,'test1'),(2,'test2'),(1,'test3'),(2,'test4');

3) see what's in the table
SELECT * FROM test_tbl ORDER BY field1;

result is:
1, 1, 'test1'
1, 2, 'test3'
2, 1, 'test2'
2, 2, 'test4'

field2 is unique only in context of  field1.

Hth,
Dusan