This isn't true for innodb.
I think the only requirement is that you need to have a unique index
on the auto increment column.
We created a composite primary key + auto_increment to take advantage
of clustering by primary key while satisfying unique constraint for
the primary key. It worked out well for us except for the sheer size
of the indexes.
Kyong