You can choose between:

INSERT INTO TABLE1 VALUES (null,'stuff')

or

INSERT INTO TABLE1 (stuffField) VALUES ('stuff')

--
João Cândido de Souza Neto

""David Stoltz"" <dsto...@shh.org> escreveu na mensagem
Hi All,

In MS SQL, if the table has an identity field/primary key which is set
to auto increment, you can leave the value out of an INSERT statement,
and the next highest value will be automatically inserted...

For instance, with a two column table I could do "INSERT INTO TABLE1
VALUES('stuff')"

I'm having trouble doing the same thing in mySQL...

In mySQL, if I expressly give it a value, like "INSERT INTO TABLE1
VALUES(17,'stuff')" - it works fine. But if I remove the 17, it says I
don't have a matching number of columns.

The field in question has a foreign key in another table, making this a
primary key in theory, but there's nothing in myphpadmin that shows this
as a primary key - perhaps this is the problem?

Need some guidance....

Thanks!

Dave