Good morning all

                A few days ago i posted some questions relating to mysql
threads running out and not being able to restart the database.

                We had the same again this morning however this time I had a
bit of a heads up and managed to get into the database before it went down
(so to speak).

                What I found was the following:

.         When running ' show processlist', the amount of processes were
increasing the whole time.

.         From the details, it seemed that all the connections were coming
from the website and were trying to make connections to the database,
however the statuses never changed from connect to anything else, and yet
the amount of connections kept on rising.

.         From what I could gather, the incoming processes were trying to
connect to the database but the connections could not be released causing
havoc.

I have tried to find clues in log files, etc... but nothing turned up. I
suspected that it could perhaps be php however this could not be verified
yet.

Can someone please provide me with some thoughts as to why this could be
happening? I am fairly new to MySQL and not sure where else to go from here
to find the root cause.

Generally everything works fine, however , every now and then things
suddenly seem to be going wrong... L

  Any help would be appreciated.

Machiel Richards

MySQL DBA