At 2:30 PM -0400 6/13/01, Dennis wrote:
>At 08:30 PM 06/12/2001, Philip Mak wrote:
>>[client]
>>port=3306
>>socket=/home/mysql/mysql.sock
>>
>>[mysqld]
>>port=3306
>>socket=/home/mysql/mysql.sock
>

>here are examples of variables that you could not deduce from using
>--help. the "socket" one,for example, was one that I asked about
>last week, when the consensus answer was to use a link to change
>this. Clearly the my.cnf route is a better choice.
>
>Dennis

Perhaps this will be considered nitpicking, but ...

1) socket isn't a variable.  It's a parameter.  Variable are those things
    that are set with set-variable=varname=value.

2) my.cnf is not clearly a better choice.  For programs that don't consult
    option files, it won't work.

--
Paul DuBois, [EMAIL PROTECTED]