You'll need to use the technique described here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/example-maximum-column-group-row.html

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Stroh [mailto:st...@astroh.org]
Sent: Monday, July 26, 2010 2:50 PM
To: MySql
Subject: Yet another query question

Hi everyone and thanks in advance for the help. I have a query that I'd like to
perform using two tables but am not sure what the best way to perform it short
of creating a loop in my code and performing multiple queries.

I have two tables. The first table acts as a master table of sorts and Num in
Table1 maps directly to Num in Table2. One way to think of this is that I'm
performing a query on Table2 and grouping the records by MAX(version) but I am
not interested in records if state = new in Table1 for the value of Num in
Table2. I've tried to give an example below.

Table1:
Num, state
1          final
2         new
3         final

Table2:
Num, ID,    IDt, version
1        1       100           1
1        2       101           1
1        3       102           1
2        4       100           2
2        5       103           1
3        6       100           2
3        7       103           1
3        8       104           1

Preferred result:
IDt,   ID,  Num, MAX(version)
100   6          3               2
101   2          1               1
102   3          1               1
103   7          3               1
104   8          3               1

Cheers,
Michael

individual named.  If you are not the named addressee, you are notified that
reviewing, disseminating, disclosing, copying or distributing this e-mail is
strictly prohibited.  Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you
have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system.
E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as
incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability
for any loss or damage caused by viruses or errors or omissions in the contents
of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. [FriendFinder
Networks, Inc., 220 Humbolt court, Sunnyvale, CA 94089, USA, FriendFinder.com