> 1. Setup a single master and 2 slaves.  The question is how to tell the web
> servers to get all the read data from the slaves and to only write to the
> master?

Replication is not an answer to all performance problems. Although updates
on the slave are more optimized than if you ran the updates normally, if you
use MyISAM tables, table-locking will still occur, and databases under
high-load could still struggle.

Replication is not a guarantee that the slave will be in sync with the
master at any one point in time. Even assuming the connection is always up,
a busy slave may not yet have caught up with the master, so you can't simply
interchange SELECT queries across master and slave servers.