Hi!

Jerry Schwartz wrote:
> I deal with a somewhat similar situation. Even though we have fast VPN
> connections among our various offices, each has been afflicted with a
> different database structure (and software) which they cannot change.
>
> What I suggest you do is use the kind of "pseudo-synchronization" that we do.
> Use a local copy of the application and database on each PC (MySQL will do
> fine on even a modest system). Timestamp each record when you create or
> change
> it.
>
> When the user is back in contact with the office, extract all of the records
> with timestamps newer than the last "synchronization" event and update the
> central database.
>
> Is this foolproof? Absolutely not, if there are conflicts between the changes
> by different users. You'll be stuck with "He who write last, writes best";
> but
> I think that's as good as it's going to get for you.

AIUI, you could prevent that by having a second timestamp, "based-on":
If "based-on" in the new record is the same value as "changed-on" in the
central data base, update - if they differ, you had somebody else come
first and will now need some manual alignment.

> How well this works depends upon the type of work. If the users have
> non-overlapping "customers", or whatever, then it won't be too bad. You'll
> have to judge for yourself.
>
> [[...]]

HTH,
Jörg

--
Joerg Bruehe,  MySQL Build Team,  joerg.bru...@oracle.com
ORACLE Deutschland B.V. & Co. KG,   Komturstrasse 18a,   D-12099 Berlin